For statistical data collection purposes, the Max Planck Institute for Empirical Aesthetics employs the web analytics tool Matomo (formerly Piwik). It is also used by the central website of Max Planck Society www.mpg.de, as well as by most of the other Max Planck Institutes and many project websites related to the Max Planck Society. The following instructions and settings are relevant for all websites utilising our Piwik server. A notice to this effect is included in the imprint of the concerned website.
Options to Object
You have the following independent options to object to the collection of data by our Piwik server:
1. Activate your browser’s Do-Not-Track setting. As long as this setting is active, our Piwik server will not store any data about you. Note: As a rule, the Do-Not-Track setting is only valid for the specific computer and the specific browser in which you activate this setting. Should you use more than one computer or browser, please make sure to activate the Do-Not-Track setting on all of them separately.
2. You can also use our Opt-Out function. For this option, please tick the box below to stop the collection of data or to activate it again. As long as the box is deactivated, our Piwik server will not store any data about you. Note: For the Opt-Out function we need to save a special recognition cookie to your browser. If you delete this cookie or use another computer / browser, please make sure to object to the collection of data again on this website.
Data Collected by Piwik
Unless you have objected, the following data are being recorded by our Piwik server and considered by the usage statistics.
- IP address, shortened for anonymity
- A cookie to distinguish different visitors
- The previously visited URL (referrer), insofar as it has been transmitted by your browser
- Name and version of your operating system
- Name, version and language settings of your browser
- URLs visited in this website
- Time stamps of visits
- Types of HTML requests
- Screen resolution and colour depth
- Technical processes and formats supported by your browser (e.g. cookies, Java, Flash, PDF, WindowsMedia, QuickTime, RealPlayer, Director, SilverLight, Google Gears)
Application log files
For technical reasons, our servers and applications save personal details upon your visit to our websites in their log files. However, these data are only used for the immediate provision of our services, for troubleshooting purposes or for attack prevention and will be deleted automatically.
The following data are saved:
- Your IP address
- Date and time of your website visit
- The address of the site visited
- The address of the previously visited website (referrer)
- Name and version of your browser / operating system (if transmitted by your browser)
- Your E-mail address (e.g. when using the contact form)