Your Brain on Art
We can hardly escape the effect of art: Works of art make us think and can release feelings. How does that come about?
In this study we investigate how our brain reacts to works of art. The study consists of two parts: an online questionnaire and a later fMRI measurement.
In the online questionnaire, we will collect information about your background and interests and your level of engagement with art. The second part of the study will take place in the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanner at the Brain Imaging Center in Niederrad. Here we will record your brain activity while you perform various cognitive tasks. The main task is to look at artworks and evaluate them while lying in the scanner.
The online part of the study takes about an hour and can be done at a flexible time. The fMRI measurement then takes place at least one week later and takes 2–3 hours including preparation and follow-up.
For the online questionnaire you will receive an expense allowance of 14€ by bank transfer to your bank account. For the associated fMRI appointment, you will be paid a further 40–60€ in cash.
In order to participate in this study you need to meet the following requirements:
- age between 18–65 years
- good German skills
- no neurological or psychiatric diseases
- no non-removable metal in/at your body (e.g., retainer, contraceptive coil, tattoo, permanent Make-up, nail polish, mascara, cardiac pacemaker, defibrillator, metal plates, screws, wires)
- no implants or prostheses (e.g., shunts, stents, cochlea implant, aneurysm clips or artificial joints)
- no metal splinters are in your body, e.g., no metal chips (e.g., from metal processing industry) or shrapnel (e.g., from war)
- for women: no pregnancy
- no claustrophobia
- you have a laptop or PC or other device with a keyboard from which you can complete the online questionnaires
Interested? To receive further information, register at study.ae.mpg.de/register/brainart
Do you have questions? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to your participation.