Visa for Research

Foreign nationals taking up employment in Germany, which includes those doing research, require a visa. You should apply for this visa at a German embassy or consulate in your country of origin or country of residence. Depending on the type of visa and country, different documents may be required for the application. Detailed information on the necessary documents can be found on the website of the German embassy through which you will apply.

Please note:
The processing time for a visa application can take up to 4 to 6 weeks, depending on the embassy responsible for it. Make sure to apply for your visa as soon as possible before you plan to arrive.

Nationals of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Switzerland, and the USA may apply for the work visa while they are already in Germany. However, as this process can be lengthy and paid employment is not permitted during it, we suggest that you apply for your visa at the German embassy in your home country before coming.

For nationals of the above countries who are already resident in Germany or the European Union and/or who hold the EU Blue Card, there are different rules. Please contact us if this applies to you.

You may find further official information on the Federal Republic of Germany’s website for working professionals, “Make It in Germany.”

If you have any questions, please contact us:

More Information

  • Visa for Research

    Foreign nationals taking up employment—including doing research—in Germany, require a visa.

  • Registration

    If you are planning to stay in Germany for more than 3 months, you must register your residence within two weeks...

  • Bank Account

    To open a bank account you will need the following...

  • Health Insurance

    Every person residing in Germany is required to have health insurance.

  • Additional Insurances

    Information on liability insurance, household contents insurance, accident insurance, retirement benefits

  • Housing

    Finding an apartment in Frankfurt can be a challenge, but we will be happy to assist you in the process.

  • Broadcasting Fee

    This is the broadcasting fee (Rundfunkbeitrag), which covers public television and radio programming in Germany...

  • Driving License

    Permission to operate a motor vehicle in Germany is regulated by a number of different factors depending on where your license was issued.