Now Hiring! Research Assistant Wanted
The Max Planck Institute for Empirical Aesthetics in Frankfurt, Germany, investigates the cognitive, affective, neuronal, and sociocultural foundations of aesthetic experience.
The Department of Neuroscience currently offers a position as a
for 40-60 hours a month
to work on several projects in the research group of Dr. Edward Vessel. We use behavioral and neuroimaging techniques (fMRI, EEG, fNIRS) to investigate aesthetic responses to (primarily visual) aesthetic experiences, such as when a person finds a painting to be beautiful. The position is an opportunity for the HiWi to gain hands-on experience in conducting neuroscientific research projects in a stimulating interdisciplinary environment. We are therefore seeking a highly self-motivated individual. The ideal candidate would be an early-stage Masters-student or mid-stage Bachelors-student, since we are interested in hiring for a long-term period.
- Assistance with data collection (behavioral experiments, assist with fMRI, EEG, fNIRS)
- Participant recruitment (contacting potential participants, distribution of flyers, etc.)
- Data entry and assistance with analysis
- Stimulus creation for experiments
- Reviews of relevant literature and writing summaries
- Organization of scientific literature
- Interested in Neuroscience and Neuroaesthetics and motivated to learn
- English fluency (primary language of research group) and good command of German
- MSc student (preferably Neuroscience, Psychology, Engineering, Computer Science or related). Exceptionally well-qualified Bachelors students may also be considered.
- Experience with (or exposure to) programming, e.g. Python, Matlab, R or other languages
- Well organized, good communication skills, works well as part of a team
- Proficiency with office programs (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Familiarity with Photoshop, Adobe Premier or other image manipulation software
- Familiarity with EEG, fMRI or fNIRS data collection helpful but not required
- Employment with all the benefits of public service in a friendly and dynamic working environment with regular working hours.
- A highly interactive working atmosphere in an international, interdisciplinary institute
- Modern workplace in an attractive environment with excellent infrastructure and public transport connections in Frankfurt's Westend district
NOTE regarding COVID-19: While we intend that at least part of the work would occur at the institute (e.g. data collection), we must of course abide by state and institute restrictions. If in-person work is not possible, the assistantship will consist of remote work.
The contract will be for 6 months (one semester), with the possibility of extension, and is supposed to start on May 15, 2021.
The Max Planck Society strives for gender equality and diversity. Likewise, we have set ourselves the goal of employing more severely disabled people. We therefore welcome applications from all backgrounds.
Please send your application in English including cover letter, CV, certificate of study and references in one PDF file as soon as possible and at the latest by April 25, 2021, with the reference SH03_2021 to: email@example.com Please do not include a photograph on your CV. When possible, submit materials in English.