The Jacoby Research Group is looking for a Postdoctoral researcher or PhD student to assist in data acquisition in multiple sites around the world. This project integrates elements from neuroscience, psychology, cultural anthropology, and ethnomusicology with the aim of significantly increasing our knowledge about the role of experience in determining auditory perception. The successful applicant will be involved in the design, piloting, and implementation of cross-cultural auditory perception experiments. The applicant will also manage and run experiments in conjunction with a multinational consortium of collaborators. Candidates will be required to travel frequently to supervise experimental data collection around the globe; some of these locations may include outdoor or harsh conditions
The successful applicant holds a BSc. / MA in a relevant discipline, e.g., psychology, neuroscience, anthropology, ethnomusicology, or computer science and possesses the following skills and experience:
- Command of Matlab for experiment analysis and design.
- Substantial knowledge of statistics / experimental methods.
- Excellent spoken and written English and scientific writing skills.
- Fluency in Spanish or Portuguese; additional languages are advantageous.
- Experience with field work (especially in tropical areas) and experience with the outdoors including hiking and camping.
- Willingness to travel to remote locations for weeks at a time.
Please submit a detailed CV, a summary of research interests and experience, 2 writing samples, and the names of two references as a single pdf to Nori Jacoby (email@example.com). The position is available until filled. Start date is negotiable.