The Max-Planck Institute for Empirical Aesthetics in Frankfurt, Germany, investigates the attentional, cognitive and affective mechanisms of aesthetic perception and evaluation.
The Department of Neuroscience currently offers a position as
Research assistant (studentische Hilfskraft m/w)
for 10 hours a week
to work on research projects related to cognitive processes involved in speech/music perception.
The research assistant will support two projects: one project concerning speech perception using a behavioral approach and statistical modelling, which aims at examining the use of acoustic cues in prosodic communication of intentions and a second music-related project using electroencephalography (EEG) to investigate the neural basis of correctness perception.
We are seeking a highly self-motivated individual who is willing to actively contribute to different stages of the research projects and to take responsibility for their execution.
- stimulus creation for experiments
- subject recruitment (contacting potential participants, distribution of flyers, etc.)
- translation of experiment material from English to German,
- data collection (setting up for behavioral experiments, and assistance with EEG experiment)
- acoustic analyses of auditory material
- MSc student (preferably psychology or a related field)
- good command of German and English (project communication language)
- good communication and organizational skills
- critical thinking skills and eagerness to learn new techniques/tools/methods
- deep interest in acoustics, neuroscience, language and music processing
- programming skills and familiarity with statistics/experimental methods are a plus
The contract will be for 6 months, with the possibility of extension, and could start on May 15, 2018 or otherwise as soon as possible.
The Max Planck Society is committed to hiring more disabled persons and so we encourage applications from disabled persons. The Max Planck Society would also like to increase the proportion of women in those fields in which they are underrepresented. Women are therefore expressly encouraged to apply.
Please submit your application including a CV and a short cover letter describing your background, experience and motivation - preferably in pdf format – by April 30, 2018, with the reference SH5_2018 to
Max-Planck-Institut für empirische Ästhetik
Grüneburgweg 14, 60322 Frankfurt am Main