Registering Your Residence (Meldewesen)

If you are planning to stay in Germany for more than 3 months, you must register your residence within two weeks after moving into your domicile according to the Registration Act (Meldegesetz).

If you are planning to stay less than 3 months, but need a local bank account, you may still have to register in order to open the account.

Registration takes place in one of the Bürgeramt (citizens' offices) of the city of Frankfurt.


When you go to your appointment, make sure to bring with you the following documents:

  1. Wohnungsgeberbestätigung (“Certificate of residence”) filled out and signed by your landlord 
  2. Your passport
  3. If your spouse is accompanying you, you should bring your marriage certificate (with translation) and his/her passport.
  4. If your children are accompanying you, you should bring their birth certificates (with translation) and their passport(s).

Registration is free of charge.

At the citizens’ office you will receive your residence registration (Meldebescheinigung), which you will need in order to apply for your residence permit (Aufenthaltsgenehmigung) or to open a bank account.

If you change your domicile during your time in Germany, you must register the new address (ummelden) at the citizens’ office (Bürgeramt). When you leave Germany, you must unregister your residence (abmelden) at the citizens’ office. These also require making an appointment in advance.

Feel free to contact the IO for support at any time during this administrative process. 

Please take note of the information on the homepage of the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building, and Community.

More information

  • Visa for Research

    Foreign nationals taking up employment—including doing research—in Germany, require a visa.

  • Registration

    If you are planning to stay in Germany for more than 3 months, you must register your residence within two weeks...

  • Bank Account

    To open a bank account you will need the following...

  • Health Insurance

    Every person residing in Germany is required to have health insurance.

  • Housing

    Finding an apartment in Frankfurt can be a challenge, but we will be happy to assist you in the process.

  • Broadcasting Fee

    This is the broadcasting fee (Rundfunkbeitrag), which covers public television and radio programming in Germany...

  • Driving License

    Permission to operate a motor vehicle in Germany is regulated by a number of different factors depending on where your license was issued.